Last week I ordered a butternut squash on my online shopping and this 1.7kg behmouth turned up! Â I had planned having it roasted with chicken but it was so big I decided to turn it into a soup for lunch. It is an excellent source of vitamin A and C and good source of vitamin E. Surprisingly enough it is also a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids (not as much as fish or flaxseed but if you are not taking a supplement every little helps)
- Turn on oven. Mine is a fan one and appears to have nuclear tendencies but 170 would probably be good.
- Cut squash in half lengthways.
- Mix 2 tablespooons of olive oil or coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of garlic (I am very lazy and use jar garlic, if you are not then I would crush about 2 cloves)
- Baste the tops of the squash with the oil
- Add a sprig of rosemary and sprinkle paprika all over
- Bake for about 45 minutes Â or until a knife goes in easily, again oven dependent.
- Boil a pint of chicken stock, if you have home made it will taste better (after having a roast just boil the carcass with some water for a couple of hours, strain and then freeze)
- Remove the rosemary (I find it too overpowering)
- Scrap all the squash into the boiling chicken stock and simmer for about 20minutes.
- Use a handblender to blend the ingredients of the saucepan and there you go gorgeous butternut squash soup with a little bit of a kick from the paprika.
P.S I love coconut so if you want add roughly 50g coconut cream to the pint of chicken stock. Also test whilst the soup is cooking and add more paprika/chill if you want a real kick.